Exploring Facial Rejuvenation: Injectables or Surgery?
- Posted on: Aug 30 2021
Facial rejuvenation is a common goal shared by the vast majority of our patients. The availability of nonsurgical modalities and treatments like injectable wrinkle reducers and dermal fillers has added ease and accessibility that simply didn’t exist before. As a result, patients often lean away from the idea of facelift surgery. The thing is, there are times when the surgical route is the better choice. Here, we discuss how to know when that is.
Benefits of Injectable Facial Rejuvenation
Many of the patients who visit our St. Louis and St. Peters offices like the idea of injectables. This approach to the signs of aging can be a great way to “test drive” a younger look without long-term commitment. Whether as a segway into surgery or a standard line of defense against aging, injectables offer benefits including:
- Non-surgical treatment does not require anesthesia
- Injections take less than an hour
- There is no downtime involved in injectable treatment
- Many patients describe injectable treatment as painless
- Results from injectable dermal fillers are instantaneous
- When well-done, injectable treatment can look very natural
What You Need to Know About Surgical Facelifts
Unlike injectables, the surgical facelift rejuvenates the face by repositioning tissue that has descended downward. The techniques performed today are more comprehensive than what was done just a few decades ago, back when a facelift resulted in telltale signs. During a facelift, the surgeon lifts deeper plane tissues including muscle and fat, not just the skin. When these structural tissues are replaced at their proper height on the midface, overlying skin is smoothed over the top and carefully trimmed to reduce sagging and wrinkles. Surgery is more complex, but it is also more thorough.
When Surgery is the Right Choice
To be clear, no one has to choose surgery to address facial aging. This is a personal choice that must be made with consideration of all factors. Surgery may be the right choice when:
- The signs of aging are more severe, with deep creases and significant contour changes
- Skin laxity is prominent, including jowls, a turkey neck, and droopy skin around the eyes
- The skin on the neck is significantly loose and wrinkled
- The patient wants more dramatic or longer-lasting results
To get the best outcome, it is necessary to choose the right procedure as well as the right provider. We would love to meet with you to discuss your cosmetic goals and how they may be met. Contact us to schedule a visit in St. Peters or St. Louis.